Friday, November 2, 2007

You can lose your way in the desert

That's a line from the Godly Play stories that are told in the desert box. It's also quite apropos of my week.

I was feeling really good on Tuesday as I set out for my first meeting with my Sabbath mentor. Okay, I haven't been carving out the hour to engage in the ritual, but I do have a mentor and we were having our first meeting. Our time together was great, she was encouraging, we broke bread and laughed together.

From her house I was heading to Five Oaks to lead a workshop on Godly Play. My mentor said she'd give me directions so that I could avoid the traffic on the 403 that would already be building by mid-afternoon. Well, you've guessed it; I got lost. I wandered this way and that way and finally, after a frantic phone call, I was back at her house and starting over again nearly an hour later! I did make it to Five Oaks with just enough time to get set up while the participants were eating dinner. The workshops went great and I started for home. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I phoned Andrew to let him know that I was on the road and we chatted for a while as I drove along. Well, you guessed it, I missed a turn and got lost again! This time it was dark and I was in the country and I kept driving over Highway 403 but there was no on-ramp for me to get to it. Finally, I saw a United Church with a big, lighted sign and a website printed on the sign. I called Andrew again and asked him to go to their website and tell me where I was. Turns out, I was less than a kilometre from Five Oaks, so once again I was back at my starting point nearly an hour later than when I'd first set out.

In reflecting back on my week and preparing for my first celebration of the Sabbath ritual this afternoon, it dawned on me that perhaps I truly was in a desert moment of life and I have lost my way a bit. It's been a busy and chaotic summer and autumn in the General Council Office. I've travelled over many weekends and haven't participated much in the worshipping life of the congregation of which I'm a part. I haven't made as much time as I usually do to nurture the relationships that are important to me and it's beginning to show.

Can lighting a candle and thinking of you once a week help me with that? Can focused monthly visits with a friend help me find my way? I'm not sure, but it helps to know that even if I lose my way on this journey there are others out there who can point me in another direction.

Sabbath blessings,

Amy

2 comments:

Sabbath Discernment Team said...

This morning I found an article on my desk. It was in the Autumn 2007 newsletter edition for the Canadian Association for Parish Nursing Ministry. At a symposium a keynote speaker named Wayne Muller "urged attendees to "remember the Sabbath." He cautioned us that if we do not rest, we lose our way. Muller states, "The Sabbath give us the permission we need to stop, to restore our souls." God reminds us that we can't do it all.Take time to "drink, if just briefly, from the fountain of rest and delight." When I read your posting about losing your way, I felt that this connected in with what you said. I think it was a sign. Karen

Bleedsdaylight said...

That's kind of a "whoa" thing, eh?