Monday, June 2, 2008

Elihu and listening...

Job 32:1-14

In this passage Elihu is a youth. He has been sitting in the shadows for sometime, watching as the older men speak. He respectfully listens, truly listens to his mentors...listens intentionally to be changed by what they are saying. Although, he gets frustrated and after his listening he speaks out. Most believe that these speeches were an addition to the book of Job. Either way, they really capture the importance of the voice of youth.

I don't know if we always truly listen to youth. I think we know what we want them to say. This weekend was MC Youth Forum and Rick brought a question to the youth from the floor of conference. I realized that I knew how I wanted them to respond, and some did accordinly. Yet, there were so many different answers. Diversity in expereince and perspective among youth is important and I think I need to remember this. I need to be open to be changed by their words instead of already presuming what they are going to say.

Also, I think I may have been putting to many presumptions or expectations on my Sabbath time or prayer life as it has been lacking space to just listen. I forgot that to listen to hear that what the spirit is saying to me, just might be different from what I have heard before. Just might have the power to change me or move me in a new direction.

Elihu's words are empowering for both their presence and their content. Reading this passage this week taught me that maybe if I listen harder I might be able to actually have something more powerful to say.

No comments: