Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Everywhere I look people are hungry for Sabbath

Sabbath has changed my life.
Through this change in my life, I've been able to spread this new light to others.

John 8:12-20

Being in an inter-racial relationship I understand the concern around light being good and dark being evil. However, both my partner and I think that the light in this passage is a noun, rather than an adjective, like a flame. John’s Christ is portrayed as the ‘light of the world’ and this theme plays out very clearly in this gospel. Yet, this light is not to be kept inside of Jesus rather it is something Jesus gives and then once we receive we give as well. I believe that Sabbath can be this light, this flame. Everywhere I look in this day and age people are so hungry for Sabbath. I have so many opportunities to share in class, at church, with my friends and family what this team and many others are doing. I have these opportunities because there is a hunger for this. I can tell that in some way I have passed on something of value and worth and that if they accept they see their life through a new lens.


Believing in Sabbath means believing in something that our society doesn't believe in.
I fell so hard into this deep hole of being programmed to death and feeling guilty if I wasn't doing something 'productive'. I was killing myself. Sabbath has helped me see the importance in spiritual practice. I don't necessarily mean set aside labyrinth walking or coloring Mandelas, even if they are cool. I mean preparing meals as a spiritual practice, running as a spiritual practice, (heck, I have lost 15 pounds on Sabbath), sleeping as spiritual practice, cleaning as a spiritual practice, rocking out on a guitar and singing in the car at the top of my lungs to Ani as a spiritual practice. I have found a new way to journal. I journal about this journey and the people who are with me on it. I journal about whatever I want instead of what I always thought I should.

Wow, as I read this over this entry it seems so testimony-like…I guess that is what John 8:12-20 is about. Knowing who you are and where you are coming from.

I know Sabbath has changed my life.

Sarah

2 comments:

Sabbath Discernment Team said...

Hey Friends,
Sorry this was late...I realized I had not clicked 'Publish Post' when I wrote it and then I decided to change it all anyway.

Hearts,
Sarah

Bleedsdaylight said...

A cool thing about your post is that "Testimony" is one of Diana Butler-Bass' signposts of renewal for the church showing signs of growth and life and authenticity... you just proved it! Way to go, Sarah!