Thursday, December 20, 2007

Reflection on John 21:1-14

For the last few months this text has been roaming around in my brain, popping into my consciousness on occasion. I think it’s because during the process of the setting of new priorities that occurred here in the General Council Offices, we heard that there is a longing “out there” for “outside the box thinking,” for something to “push the church beyond its comfort zone.” It seems the church is asking us to put our nets on the other side of the boat in the hopes that we’ll come up with a big catch of some kind.

I also find intriguing the image of the disciples who, all night long, cast their net and came up empty, yet never thought to try another approach. Of course, they never gave up either! So there is something about their persistence in the midst of continued emptiness that intrigues me.

There’s also that part about Peter needing to put on his clothes in order to swim in to meet Jesus. Why did he need to cover himself? Did he feel too vulnerable? Perhaps there was something he wanted to hide from Jesus. Or maybe it just wasn’t a nude beach.

So, what does all this have to do with Sabbath? I think people do long to live a life of meaning, we long for something larger than ourselves. In a report that will go to our unit’s (CECM) working committee I wrote, “Perhaps it’s not so much that we live in a secular society and that is why people are no longer filling our churches. Perhaps it is that churches have become so secularized that they are no longer filling our souls.” I wonder if this Sabbath practice is a way of putting our net on the others side of the boat. I wonder if it will fill us.

At times I’m also finding the ritual somewhat empty. It’s like a forced thing that I do because I said I’d do it, but I’m not quite comfortable with it. But I’m trying to persist and I’m wondering if I need feel true emptiness so that I can allow Christ to fill me.

I also think sometimes about the ways that I might feel the need to put on some clothes before I jump into the sea to meet Jesus. Why is it so difficult to be completely vulnerable when it comes to living a life of faith?

Well, I’m sure this text won’t leave me for a while. I still find many images from it that I’m not sure that I understand. Who knows, maybe when my turn for choosing a text and writing the blog comes around again in March, it will still be with me.

All peace to you,

Amy

No comments: