Thursday, October 25, 2007

Longings, learnings, and reality.

So, I've managed to do the ritual for 4 weeks in a row, though I've never managed to do it on the same day of the week, but I've come to the realization that it doesn't really matter. Here is what I've discovered so far:
  • It helps to prepare for the ritual the day before you actually do the ritual.
  • It helps to tell someone when you will be doing it, so you can't back out!
  • The ritual has made a difference in my life already!
  • I'm not procrastinating as much.
  • I am more aware of my surroundings.
  • I have trusted my intuition more, which has created more meaningful opportunities in my ministry at the church.
  • I have had many rich connections with friends and families, and it brings me joy.
  • Every time I do the ritual, I'm surprised at the messages I receive from the scriptures, and how timely they are with what is happening that week.
  • I'm grateful to have an hour a week when no one interrupts me.
  • Everyone has been really respectful of this time, and when people have walked in during this time, they quietly leave as soon as they realize what I'm doing.
  • It has helped me to prioritize my life.

Two weeks ago during my ritual I asked myself the following question: What am I longing for, and thirsting for? Here is a portion of my response:

"I've been longing for the people in our group to get started on the weekly ritual. I want to hear their stories and their struggles, and I want to share my own. I did more cleaning this week, and I believe that my work has been more focused. I definitely feasted this week with both family and friends, I rested and slept in one day. I also spent more time outside...Now that I think about it, what I thirst and hunger for during this Sabbath time is an hour where I have time to reflect with no interruptions. I think this hour has allowed me to regroup, and it also reminds me to ask the harder questions or myself and others."

Marva J. Dawn, who wrote Keeping the Sabbath Wholly believes that keeping the sabbath requires us to engage in the following four acts: ceasing, resting, embracing, and feasting. She believes that "If we were more deliberate about our lifestyles, we might be more conscious ourselves of God's grace, of who we are as God's people, and of how discipleship involves careful choices. Paying such close attention to living a truly Christian lifestyle would give better witness to the world." p. 109

I believe that I have been more deliberate and more intentional because I have engaged in the practice of sabbath. I have made more room for God to work in my life, and it is delightful! Don't get me wrong it is still a struggle. It turns out that I don't like being told which scriptures to read. Who knew? I think I have some control issues. To be honest, reading the suggested scriptures doesn't allow me to stay in my comfort zone. So I laughed when I read this weeks suggested scripture Luke 12: 22-34. It started with the message "Don't Worry!" and ended with "Don't be afraid." Powerful words that I'm not quite prepared to comment on yet. Maybe next time.

Those are my thoughts for now friends.

Karen

No comments: