Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Sabbath Is Hard Work

The irony and tragedy of our lifestyle is demonstrated by the fact that the whole concept of Sabbath has been derided and neglected as luxuriant and unproductive. It's funny how much time and preparation we, (OK, I'll speak for myself), I need to feel alright with spending spiritual time for self-nurture. Maybe because there isn't a concrete outcome that I can point to and say "this is where your offering plate money went" like a meeting or a pastoral visit or a killer sermon.

Back to all the preparation that is needed for Sabbath: I spent a good chunk of morning trying to find the right candle to use for my weekly ritual (which is part procrastination, part OCD) and selecting appropriate meditation music (settling on Peter Gabriel's "Passion: soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ"). And when I try to settle into a space of no-thing-ness and spiritual connection, my mind is racing through all the other things I need to get to in the day.

I did manage to bring to mind each member of the Discernment Team and sent them positive, loving energy. Which reminds me now that we should probably explain further to the Internet audience what we're about as a Sabbath Discernment Team in the Year of Sabbath and how they might join in. Maybe next time, this post is long enough already.

Discerningly yours,
Kenji

No comments: